Mysore-style class guide
- Please inform the teacher of any injuries, operations, pregnancy or other conditions which may require special care.
- Please check-in to every time you attend either using the eversport app or in person with the teacher in the room
- Please shower/bathe before coming to class and wear clean yoga clothes.
- Once you’ve established a regular Ashtanga yoga practice, please aquire a personal mat.
- If you practice regularly 3 times or more in a week, you can keep your mat in the studio.
- Please wash both your cotton yoga mat and your sticky rubber yoga mat on a regular basis.
- Please keep jewelry/accessories to a minimum.
- Please turn your phone off or to silent and leave it in the changing room. If you might need to
be reached for an emergency during class, please have your phone on vibrate and step out of the room to take the call.
- No water bottles in the practice space. For drinking, allow minimum 10-15 minutes before and after each class, but not during practice.
- It is recommended to do the practice with an empty stomach, avoid eating for at least 2-3 hours before attending class.
- Please practice as instructed by the teacher. Modification of or deviation from the sequence is to be avoided for any other than medical causes.
- Visiting and other experienced practitioners who practice beyond Primary Series are requested to begin with Primary Series.
- No asana practice on new and full moon days.
- No asana practice for ladies during the first three days of their period.
- Upon arrival, please place your yoga mat as far to the front of the room as possible.
- The students who know the complete sequence of finishing asana: When you’re ready to begin the finishing sequence, please move your mat to the back row of the practice space so that the
students arriving later can move to the front of the room.
- Please make sure there are no puddles of water from the spray bottle or sweat left on the floor after you’ve completed your practice.
- It’s advisable to bring a small towel with you to the practice.
- Please keep chat quiet in changing rooms and maintain a quiet atmosphere during the practice.
- Please don’t hesitate to ask any questions that may arise concerning your practice.
Class times are Monday through Friday 6:30-9:00am. You may arrive any time during this time, provided that you have enough time to finish your practice and leave the room at 9:00 am.
If you have no experience with yoga, your first several practices will probably be quite short, and you may arrive as late as 8:15. As you become more experienced, your practice will get longer, and you can adjust your starting time accordingly. You can also arrive early if your work schedule so requires.
Recommended books among many other accomplished ones to support your practice:
- Yoga Mala by Sri K. Pattabhi Jois
- Aahtānga Yoga Anushthāna by R Sharath Jois
- Ashtanga Yoga: The Yoga Tradition of Sri K. Pattabhi Jois: The Definitive Primary Series Practice Manual by Petri Räisänen,
- Ashtanga Yoga Book by John Scott